Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Tapioca
You have to make this old-fashioned Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Tapioca! It’s sweet, tart, and so good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Perfect dessert for spring or summer!
Outstanding pie! My husband asked if I could make a Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie for his birthday and I am so happy to have found this recipe – we all flipped over it!! Made it exactly as written and it was perfect, not too runny and so delicious!
Also check out our other Desserts Here
- 1 large egg
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water, divided
- ¾ teaspoon white vinegar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold lard
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Coarse sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, 4 tablespoons ice water and vinegar until blended.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly.
- Gradually add egg mixture, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together when pressed.
- If mixture is too dry, slowly add additional ice water, a teaspoon at a time, just until mixture comes together.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix sugar and tapioca.
- Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat evenly.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a ⅛-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate.
- Trim pastry even with rim.
- Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a ⅛-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- Cut slits in top. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet; bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool pie on a wire rack.
For More Check out Jodeze Home and Garden